Sunday 3 March 2013


Wazobia FM OAP,Steve Onu popularly known as yaw is one versatile radio comedian...many radio listeners adore this light skinned funny brained individual. He was not always this popular and wealthy...in an interview with daily Sun, Yaw gives an insight into his personal life and also reveals how he was once abandoned by his family when he told them of his intentions to study theater arts.

When did you get that feeling that you can begin to do MC and stand-up comedy?

I think it first started from school, during my diploma days. When I told myself it is just best to start acting comic roles, I discovered that early I just keyed into it.

There was a time you were so close to Ali Baba?


Up till now, I am still close to him. I love his movement.

I heard you impregnated a girl, is it true?


People just say things; I don’t discuss female issues with the press. Anybody can go out and write anything.
When will you marry?

Once it is time people will know, I am involved.

Now that you are a celebrity, I know many women would want to have a piece of you?

So far on my phone I think I have ‘don’t pick’ numbers up to fifteen. For some, they come out directly to tell you what they want. For those who don’t, they are your friends, but keep them at arm’s length.

What is the big deal if they want something, can’t you give it to them?
No. That I got it freely does not mean I should give it back freely.

You said at a point your parents didn’t want to see you, how bad could it have been? What happened?

Yes, it was that bad. Because I told them I wanted to do theatre, and I had to leave the house.

But now you are in good relationship with them.

They are in good relationship with me.

How many of you in the family?

We are 10, and I’m number seven.

How many wives did your father have?

Just one. And we call her ‘Abada’, that’s her nickname. I am from Awka in Anambra State, we don’t call people auntie or brother, we address them by their nicknames.

When you left home who did you stay with?

I stayed with an uncle at Iyana-Iba Estate. One day, he sent me packing saying, he couldn’t continue to feed me. Then I stayed with a friend in that same Iyana-Iba, I lived with him for nearly two years. And those two years of my life I was lucky. Because that period, I finished my diploma course, I was just going to LASU to act, present and so on. From there, I went to stay with someone else; I was always staying with people because I could not afford to pay rent.





Different Themes
Written by Dondumex

Nigeria's King blogger, entrepreneur and God-lover.

0 comments