Sunday 6 July 2014


Femi Kuti, Son of late Afrobeat king, Fela Kuti reveals that his dad refused to pay his secondray school fee of N10 because he did not like the education sector. Femi also divulges his reason for hating marriage.Below are excerpts from the interview he had with Tribune, i can't post everything...it's too long!

When asked about Secondary School..
I did, but I dropped out. He wanted me to drop out to study music. I learnt how to play musical instruments on my own. He got one man to train me, but my mother was very angry. He wanted to send me to Ghana, but some things happened and I couldn’t go anymore. If I talk much about myself, I kill the fighter in Fela – which I want people to see. Fela would give everything before giving his family. In fact, we always had the crumbs of whatever he was giving. I think he wanted us to see his life as an activist and a crusader. There were many times he refused to pay our school fees – which was N10, because he did not like the way the education sector had turned out; which I understood. I am grateful because living the street life has taught me how to mould my children to become the best in life.
Are you thinking of remarrying?
Never! I don’t believe in it in the first place.
Why don’t you believe in marriage?
I have seen too many break-ups in my life. I don’t understand the institution of marriage. So, when I say I love someone, I have to wait for a pastor to pronounce us man and wife? Also, with the business I am into, you need a woman who is tolerant and can accept so much. It doesn’t mean you are cheating, but women in this business will throw themselves at you and your woman must support you. If she doesn’t, she is going to kill you, because we musicians are like birds that must be allowed to fly. You see, many marriages don’t last because there are many partners who don’t understand our jobs.

Different Themes
Written by Dondumex

Nigeria's King blogger, entrepreneur and God-lover.

0 comments